“He who careth not from whence he came, careth little whither he goeth.” Daniel Webster


Index Next Page Previous Page Previous Whole No.

[Note:  Here appears a drawing of the Sparks Coat of Arms by Borum 1971]

(View Sparks Coat of Arms)


THE SPARKS QUARTERLY, published by The Sparks Family Association.

Paul E. Sparks, President, 155 North Hite Avenue, Louisville, Kentucky (40206)
William P. Johnson, Historian-Genealogist, Box 531, Raleigh, North Carolina (27602)
Russell E. Bidlack, Secretary-Treasurer & Editor, 1709 Cherokee Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan (48104)

The Sparks Family Association was founded in March, 1953, as a nonprofit organization devoted to the assembling and preserving of genealogical and historical materials pertaining to the Sparks family in America. Membership in the Association is open to all persons connected in any way with the Sparks family, whether by blood, marriage, or adoption, and to persons interested in genealogical and historical research. Membership falls into three classes: Active, Contributing, and Sustaining.  Active membership dues are three dollars per year,  Contributing membership dues are four dollars per year, and Sustaining; and Sustaining membership dues are any amount over four dollars which the member wishes to contribute for the support of the Association. All members, whether Active, Contributing, or Sustaining, receive THE SPARKS QUARTERLY as it is published in March, June, September, and December. Libraries, genealogical and historical associations, and individuals may subscribe to the QUARTERLY without joining the Association at the rate of three dollars per year. Back issues are kept in print and are available for seventy-five cents per issue. The first issue of the QUARTERLY was published in March, 1953. Three indexes have been published, the first covering the first five years of the QUARTERLY 1953-1957, 1958 to 1962; and 1963-1967. Each of these is available for $1.00. A complete file of all issues of the QUARTERLY (1953-1970) with the three indexes may be purchased for $41.00.
The editor of the QUARTERLY from March 1953 to September 1954 was Dr. Paul E. Sparks; since September 1954 the editor has been Dr. Russell E. Bidlack, 1709 Cherokee Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan (48104). Back issues and applications for membership are available through Dr. Bidlack. The QUARTERLY is printed by off-set at the Edwards Letter Shop, 711 North University Ave., Ann Arbor, Michigan.


On the cover of this issue of the QUARTERLY we have again published the Sparks coat of arms. The drawing on this occasion was done by a professional artist named Bob Borum of 280 Chiquita #19, Mt. View, California (94040). Mr. Borum is a son of Edgar T. and Ruth (Sparks) Borum and a grandson of Adrian Leland Allen Sparks who was born in Henderson, Texas, on September 19, 1880, and died on June 16, 1966. (See page 882 of the QUARTERLY of March 1965, Vol. XII, No. 1, Whole No. 49.)

In the QUARTERLY of December 1969 (Vol. XVII, No. 4, Whole No. 68) we published an article on the Sparks coat of arms which had been published earlier in the June 1960 issue.

Mr. Borum, in reproducing the Sparks coat of arms in black and white for publication here, has followed carefully the established rules for representing colors. He has also sent to your president and editor the Sparks coat of arms in full color on special paper measuring 14 x 18 inches. Mr. Borum reports that his process for making these beautiful color prints is that of silk screen and that if there is an interest among the membership of the Association in obtaining


copies in color, he could reproduce and sell them through the silk screen process at reasonable cost. Members who are interested in obtaining their own color print for framing should write directly to Mr. Borum for information regardiig cost. We can assure you that you will be delighted with the results.

Authorities on heraldry have a language all their own for describing coats of arms The official description of the Sparks coat of arms is as follows: “Chequy or and vert, a bend erm, Crest - - Out of a ducal coronet or, a demi panther rampant guardant argent spotted with various colours, fire issuing from the ears and mouth, proper."  This means that the shield in the Sparks coat of arms is divided into squares (chequy) of alternately different colors - - gold (or) and green (vert). (When represented in black and white, gold is indicated with black dots and green with slanting lines.) The words “a bend erm” mean that two lines extend diagonally across the shield ("from the Dexter Chief to the Sinister Base”) and that between those two lines is contained one fifth of the “field” which is covered with ermine. The description of the crest is more easily understood. Immediately above the helmet is a golden ducal coronet out of which arises the upper half (demi) of a panther standing upright (rampant), full faced (guardant, meaning "on guard”), silver (argent) and spotted with various colors, with fire coming out of the tiger’s ears and mouth - - the fire being the natural color of fire (proper).

In painting or drawing a coat of arms, it became customary to use what is called mantling, or scroliwork, around the shield and helmet. This is purely decorative and has no particular meaning except to add color to the painting. The mantling represents the cloak worn over the armor by the warrior to protect himself from both sun and rain. This cloak frequently became torn in battle and, since these tears were marks of bravery, they were patched with various colors in order better to display them.  Upon returning home and hanging his shield on a peg in the wall, the warrior would hang his cloak on the same peg so that it draped on either side of the shield. The helmet, with the crest on top, would also be placed on the same peg, above the shield. It is with this arrangement in mind that, for centuries, artists have painted the family coat of arms. Mr, Borum has used the colors green and silver in painting the mantling for his representation of the Sparks coat of arms.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


In addition to its coat of arms, the Sparks family possesses another symbol that is closely associated with its name, that of an attractive bird called the sparrow hawk. An article on the origins of the Sparks name appeared in the QUARTERLY of December 1967 (Vol. XV, No. 4, Whole No. 60) which was reprinted from the issue of June 1953. There it was pointed out that authorities are generally agreed that the name Sparks derived from the name Sparrowhawk. There are numerous records of persons named Sparrowhawk as early as the eleventh century in England. Whether the first Englishman who bore this name was so-called because he raised and trained sparrow hawks, because he was an expert in the art of falconry, or because he was said by his neighbors to resemble a sparrow hawk either in appearance or personality will never be known. Probably several different men, unrelated to each other, adopted the name when it was finally decreed in England that the head of every household must adopt a surname if he did not already possess one.

The sparrow hawk has been a common bird in England for centuries. It is really a small falcon, eleven to twelve inches long, and was used extensively in the ancient art of falconry, where hawks were trained to attack other birds and carry them back


[Note:  Here appears a copy of a painting, beneath which is the following caption:]

A Painting by Roy Cable of the Sparrow Hawk

(View painting)

to their masters. The sparrow hawk is noted for its boldness and frequently attacks birds considerably larger than itself, though it is also shy and wary.

The name sparrow hawk is not a name that one can say quickly and it has long been an English habit to shorten names to one or two syllables. As generations passed, therefore, branches of the Sparrowhawk family not only became, known by the shortened form of “Sparhawk”, but often by the even shorter word, “Spark.”

The last change which took place in the name was the addition of the letter “s”. This change, according to most authorities, came about as a result of adding the possessive, that is, Spark’s, when a son was identified by using his father’s name. When a baptismal record was made, it was customary to enter the father’s name as well as that of the child, and the entry might read: “John, son of Richard Spark’s.” The same boy might be identified in the community as “Spark’s son.” In some names, the word “son” became a part of the name, as in the case of “Wilcockson,” while in others only the possessive “s” was tacked on, as happened in the case of “Sparks.” The question immediately arises as to why all surnames do not end in “s”. One reason is that, though the genitive case ending of “s” came into official use in England in the 13th century, many years passed before it became common in colloquial speech. Why one name acquired it and another did not, can seldom be determined.  Perhaps in some cases, it simply sounded better and was easier to pronounce.  In any case, many of the families named Spark gradually changed it to Sparks. This final change seems to have occurred largely during the 16th century, and by 1600 there were about as many persons named Sparks in England as were named Spark.

In some instances, it became customary to spell the name Sparkes. This was simply a matter of personal choice, however. There are many instances on record where two full brothers would use different spellings, one Sparks and the other Sparkes.


There are legal records dated in the 1800’s where the same individual is referred to in one paragraph as Sparks and in the next as Sparkes.

From the earliest settlement in America, we find persons bearing this name which had derived from Sparrowhawk. It is interesting, however, that in nearly all instances, the forrn of the name found in the United States has been Sparks, so that today for everyone named Spark there are about one hundred named Sparks. A study of the names appearing in the 1790 census of the United States reveals that there were approximately two persons named Sparks per 10,000 population. This same ratio probably still holds true today.

Because the sparrow hawk figures importantly in the history of the Sparks name, many members of the family have made an effort to find paintings of the bird. Recently a member of the Association wrote to your editor telling of his delight in having obtained an original painting of the sparrow hawk from a prominent Ohio artist named Roy Cable of Peebles, Ohio. We have written to Mr. Cable and he has expressed a willingness to establish the following prices for original paintings measuring 12 x 16 inches of the sparrow hawk:  in pastels, $21.00; in oil, $31.00. These prices will include shipping charges, but the pictures will, of course, be unframed. Both will be ready for framing, however; the pastel paintings will be double matted.

Mr. Cable has supplied us with a photograph of one of his paintings of the sparrow hawk which is reproduced on page 1438. Members interested in this offer should send their orders to Mr. Roy Cable, R.R. #2, Box 290A, Peebles, Ohio (45660).

Roy Cable was born near Greenville, Ohio, in 1910. Although always interested in art, he did not begin formal training until in the early forties, Later he was a student under the late Martin Wogoman, then studied under the direction of Bob Brubaker, a well known area artist. Mr. and Mrs. Cable are the parents of three children, all artists in their own right.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Sarah Sparks and James Baillie, June 7, 1834, by Samuel R. Clark (#2414)

George Sparks and Malinda Reese, August 14, 1834, by Samuel Clark, M. G. (#2433)

John Sparks and Sarah Goldsmith, February 5, 1835, by Joseph Ford, J. P. (#2508)

George Sparks and Jane Templeton, February 15, 1835, by Eli P. Fry, M. G. (#2514)

Susan Sparks and Stephen Vineyard, January 8, 18)40, by John C. Pearson, M. G. (#3296)

John Sparks and Louisa Rebecca Crothers, January 13, 18L2, by E. M. Forshee, M. G. (#3596)

Benjamin Sparkes and Zephpora Chidester, January 1, 18)46, by Thomas Ballinger, M,G. (#4258)


RICHARD SPARKS (born ca. 1725, died ca. 1792)


by Russell E. Bidlack

For miany years the writer of this sketch has been searching for information on a Richard Sparks who was born sometime prior to 1730, probably about 1725, and who lived in Middlesex County, New Jersey, as a young man. Between 1760 and 1770, he moved to what is now Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, where he died between 1790 and 1800, prohably in 1792. He is believed to have had five sons: (1) James Sparks, born in the early 1750’s; (2) Benjamin Sparks, born in 1754; (3) Richard Sparks, Jr., born about 1757; (4) Walter Sparks, born about 1760; and (5) Daniel Sparks, born in 1703. The second son, Benjamin Sparks, remained in Pennsylvania.  Richard Sparks, Jr., was stolen by the Shawnee Indians when he was a small child and he was reared as an Indian;  he eventually rose to the rank of colonel in the U.S. Army. The other three sons, James, Waiter, and Daniel, became pioneers in Kentucky.

Our earliest official record found thus far pertaining to Richard Sparks is dated 1750. On September 3 of that year, he signed as a witness to the Will of William Story, who was a resident of the town of New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey. (William Story described himself as “yeoman” in his will.) There were two other witnesses: Stephen Warne and Walter Wall. (See the published New Jersey Archives, Vol. 32, p. 312.) The Warne family and the Wall family continued to be associated with the Sparks family and doubtless lived near the Richard Sparks family in New Jersey prior to the time that all three families moved to Pennsylvania.

Six months after he witnessed the will of William Story, Richard Sparks witnessed the will of James Wall, who was also a resident of Middlesex County, New Jersey. This document is dated March 13, 1750/51. Again, Stephen Warne was a witness, along with John Bazley. (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 32, p. 345.)

In order to qualify as a witness to a last will and testament, Richard Sparks must have been at least 21 years of age in 1750. Therefore, he could have been born no later than 1729.  In all probability he was connected with the Sparks family of Salem County, New Jersey, where the name Richard Sparks also appears. (See notes on a Richard Sparks of Salem County which follow this sketch.)

On February 2, 1752, Benjamin Applegate, a resident of Nottingham Township, Burlington County, New Jersey (which adjoins Middlesex County), made his will and named Richard Sparks and Walter Ward as his executors. (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 32, p. 14.)  Because the Sparks family and the Applegate family were closely associated in later years, there is a strong possibility that Benjamin Applegate and Richard Sparks were somehow related. (Relatives were usually named as executors when men made their wills in Colonial times.) (Benjamin Applegate had married Elizabeth Parent in Middlesex County, New Jersey, on July 18, 1729; they were the parents of the following children:  Thomas, Benjamin, William, Richard, Daniel, Johannah, Alse, and Jernima.) Benjamin Applegate died prior to May 16, 1753, on which date Richard Sparks and Walter Ward appeared in Court at Burlington to accept the task of administering the estate.

Our last reference to Richard Sparks in New Jersey is his subscription of three pounds on February 6, 1758, toward the building of the parsonage of the Presbyterian Church in the village of Cranbury in Middlesex County. (This document is preserved in the First Presbyterian Church on King George’s Road, Cranbury, New Jersey.) James Sparks, eldest son of Richard Sparks, who was born in the early 1750’s, stated in his application for a Revolutionary War pension in 1832 that he had been born near the village of Cranbury, although the clerk mistakingly spelled it “Brandberry.” (See the QUARTERLY of



September 1954, Vol. II, No. 3, Whole No. 70)   It would appear that Richard Sparks was a member of the Cranbury Presbyterian Church. Unfortunately, very few early records of this church survive - - it was frequently without a minister during the 18th century arid the records were largely lost.

The exact whereabouts of Richard Sparks and his family between 1758, our last reference to him in New Jersey, and 1773, our first written reference to him in Pennsylvania, is something of a mystery, We do know, however, that early in the 1760’s the family was living somewhere on the western frontier in an area frequented by the Shawnee Indians, for it was there that a very young son named Richard Sparks, Jr., was stolen by the Shawnee Indians between 1763 and 1765. He was held captive by the Indians, having been adopted into the family of Chief Pukeesheno, father of the famous Tecumseh, until the Shawnees were defeated in October 1774 at the Battle of Point Pleasant, after which they were forced to give up their white captives. (A biographical sketch of Richard Sparks, Jr., whom the Indians called “Shantunte”, will appear in a later issue of the QUARTERLY.) Point Pleasant is located in what is now West Virginia, where the Kanawha River flows into the Ohio River. Word quickly spread following the Battle of Point Pleasant that the Shawneas had agreed to give up their white captives, and families who had lost relatives to the Indians journeyed from all directions to Point Pleasant hoping that their loved ones might be found among the prisoners. Years later, Richard Sparks, Jr., recalled that his father and mother had come to look for him, but that he had no memory of them. His mother recognized him by a small birthmark. An historian named Lyman C. Draper interviewed the brother-in-law of Richard Sparks, Jr., in 1844 and left rather complete notes of that interview. This brother-in-law was Colonel G. W. Sevier. who stated that Sparks had told him he was 13 or 14 years old at the time, that he “hid himself - - didn ‘t want to leave the Indians - - had lived with them so long, had entirely forgotten his own language - - was returned to his friends; & when returned, seeing his mother & sisters weeping - - no doubt from his Indian look & talk - - he thought he was to he burned - - for he had often observed the squaws cry when some white prisoner was about to be committed to the stake.”

Richard Sparks, Jr., retained many of his Indian habits for the remainder of his life, even though he eventually rose to the rank of colonel in the U.S. Army.  After his parents had succeeded in civilizing him to a degree, he became a scout for the American Army during the Revolution. He has been the subject of a number of historical studies, but no one can be positive regarding where his family was living when the Indians kidnapped him.  According to Draper’s notes from his interview with Col. Sevier in 1844, young Sparks was three or four years old and “while out at play, a party of Shawnees took him prisoner.” An army officer named James Magoff in, who had once acted as his secretary, stated in a letter dated November 5, 1852, that Col. Sparks had told him he had been captured “by the savages, when a child, near Wheeling, on the Ohio,” (Letter from Magoffin to Henry R. Schoolcraft, Nov. 5, 1852, published in Schoolcraft’s Information Respecting the History, Condition and Prospects of the Indian Tribes of the United States, Part IV, Philadelphia, 1854, pp. 629-632.)   From Draper’s notes of his interview with Col. Sevier, it appears that Sevier was uncertain where Sparks was captured, but Draper added at the end of his notes: “Col. Geo. Wilson thinks Col. Sparks was captured near Pittsburg, when 4 or 5 years old - - kept till 17 or 18. A Cherokee was taken & burned & the Squaws cried.” (The famous Draper manuscripts are preserved in the library of the Wisconsin Historical Society; the notes taken during his interview with Col. Sevier are filed in a section labeled "30-S.)

Of the two locations suggested as the spot where little Richard Sparks was stolen, that of the Pittsburg area seems the more probable.



In the later 1760’s, a number of New Jersey families settled in the area between the Youghiogheny River and the Monongahela Rivers, often called “the Forks of the Yough,” in what is now western Pennsylvania.  Members of the Applegate family and the Wall family visited the area in 1766 and their glowing descriptions attracted so many of their New Jersey neighbors that the settlement became known as the “Jersey Settlement.” It comprised what is now Forward and Elizabeth Townships in Allegheny County.   Perhaps Richard Sparks had first settled at Pittsburgh, then later joined his old neighbors on “the Forks of the Yough.”  His farm was located in about the center of present-day Forward Township, which is located in the south-west corner of Allegheny County, across the Monongahela River from Union Township in Washington County. Point Pleasant, where the Shawnees released their prisoners in 1774, is located about 100 miles from where Richard Sparks lived at the time.

The “Forks of the Yough” was the wild west of the 1760’s and 1770’s. Surrounded by hostile Indians, the white settlers ventured there at the peril of their lives. Furtheremore, the area was claimed by both Pennsylvania and Virginia, a dispute that was not finally settled until 1785, although a tentative agreement that it belonged to Pennsylvania was reached in 1780. It was not until 1786 that Richard Sparks obtained from Pennsylvania a clear title to his tract of land comprising 308 acres. (For a full account of the rival claims of Virginia and Pennsylvania to thie area, see the article entitled “Virginia Claims in Southwest Pennsylvania” by William Perry Johnson in the QUARTERLY of June 1963, Vol. XI, No. 2, Whole No. 42, pp. 735-37.)

Few records survive relating to the early years of the “Jersey Settlement at the Forks of the Yough.” Record keeping on the frontier was always meager, and for this settlement there was the added problem that the area was claimed by both Virginia and Pennsylvania. In 1775, Virginia created the District of West Augusta, which included what is now much of western Pennsylvania as well as much of the present state of West Virginia. In December 1776, this District of West Augusta was divided into three counties, Yohogania, Ohio, and Monongalia. Yohogania County comprised what is now a portion of Washington County, as well as Allegheny, Westmoreland, Fayette, and Greene Counties in Pennsylvania. Fortunately, the “Minute Book” for the court oi’ Yohogania County has been preserved (1776-1780) in which there are a number of references to Richard Sparks and his Sons.

Pennsylvania likewise organized this area into a county called Bedford, with the Jersey Settlement included in Rostraver Township. Richard Sparks was listed by Pennsylvania as a taxpayer in Rostraver Township in 1773. His tax was four shillings. That same year, Bedford County was divided to create Westmoreland County, of which Rostraver Township became a part.

The “Minute Book” of the Virginia Court held for Yohogania County, Virginia, for the period from 1776 to 1780 has survived and has been published. (See Records of the District of West Augusta, Ohio County, and Yohogania County, Virginia, Ohio State University Printing Dept., Columbus, 1970;  published earlier, in 1902, in Vol. 1 of Annals of the Carnegie Museum.) The first mention of Richard Sparks in this “Minute Book” is found on page 55: on August 24, 1778, Richard Sparks, Andrew Pearce, Richard Johnson, and James Wall were ordered to ‘appraise the Estate of Samuel Ketchum, decd, and make return to next court.” Elizabeth Ketchum, widow of Samuel, and William Ketchuin, his brother, were appointed administrators of the estate. It was noted at a meeting of the court on October 26, 1778, that the inventory had been completed. (p.81).  It is interesting the Daniel Sparks, son of Richard, named his eldest son, born in 1786, Samuel Ketchum Sparks. There was probably a connection between the Sparks and the Ketchum families.

-1443 -


On April 27, 1779, the Yohogania County Court recorded: “On the Petn. of Andrew Heath and others, Orded that Thos. Applegate, Richd. Sparkes, Jas. & Walter Wall or any three of them do view a Road from Wm. Andersons to Thos. Applegates and make retn. to next Court.” During the same session of the court, it was also “Ordered that Richd. Sparks, Jas. Wall & Walter Wall & Andrew Fearse, Jun., do view a Road from the new store on Monongehala to the dividing Ridge Road near Jas. Wilsons & leading to Colo. Cooks.” (p. 159) At the next court on May 24, 1779, the report of these road viewers was accepted: “Thomas Applegate is appointed overseer of sd. Road and [it is ordered] that the Titahables within three miles do cut open and keep sd. Road in repair.” (p. 172)

At this same meeting of the Yohogania Court on April 27, 1779, a man named James Gray was summoned for operating an unauthorized ferry across the Monongahela River. Among those listed as having paid him an illegal charge was Richard Sparks who had been ferried across with one horse. (p. 169)  When the court met on December 27, 1779, it was “Ordered that James Wall, Walter Wall, Richd. Sparks & Andrew Pearce, Jr., do Review a road the nearest and best from the New Store on the Monaungohela River into the road near Andrew Dye ‘s, and make return of the Conveniency and Inconveniences to next Ct.” (p. 238)

By 1783, the Jersey Settlement had become, under Pennsylvania law, a part of Rostraver Township in Westmoreland County. The tax list for that year for Westmoreland County has survived and was published in the Pennsylvania Archives (3rd Series, Vol. 22) Three members of the Sparks family were taxed that year, as follows: (p. 379)

Richard Sparks, 170 acres, 2 horses, 4 cattle, 8 sheep, 4 white inhabitants
Benjamin Sparks, 200 acres, 2 horses, 2 cattle, 2 sheep, 4 white inhabitants
Walter Sparks, 150 acres, 1 horse, 1 cow, 3 sheep, 4 white inhabitants
We cannot be sure whether the Richard Sparks listed on this tax record of 1783 was the father or the son by that name. The son Richard had been married the year before (1782) to Frances Nash, daughter of Thomas Nash, but it is doubtful that he had a home of his own in 1783. Both Benjamin Sparks and Walter Sparks named on this 1783 tax list were sons of the elder Richard Sparks.

The 1786 tax list for Rostraver Township, Westmoreland County, has also been preserved and was published in the Pennsylvania Archives (3rd Series, Vol. 22). Richard Sparks was taxed in the amount of 4 shillings and Benjamin for 3 shillings, 4 pence. Walter Sparks was not listed, having apparently moved to Kentucky by 1786.

As counties in western Pennsylvania were divided in subsequent years, Rostraver Township, which had become part of Westmoreland County in 1773 when it was cut off from Bedford County, became part of Allegheny County in 1788. The area known as the old Jersey Settlement formed two townships in the new county of Allegheny in 1788, that of Forward and Elizabeth.

A map was drawn many years ago by a surveyor showing the original land grants of Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County, which had been made in 1785 and 1786 following the settlement of the disputed authority of Virginia and Pennsylvania. The land owned by Richard Sparks is shown as consisting of 308 acres. The warrant was dated July 10, 1786, and the survey was made on May 15, 1878. Without doubt, Richard Sparks and his family had lived on that land for many years prior to 1786, but only with the settlement between the two states could he obtain a clear title. It appears from this map that by the 1830’s, the land once owned by Richard Sparks



had come into the possession of Hezekiah Douthitt, Brisbin Wall, and Isaac Prangbourn. A careful search of the recorded deeds of Allegheny County would probably reveal much more than we know at present. From this map, it appears that the men who obtained tracts of land in 1785 and 1786 adjoining that of Richard Sparks were Daniel Applegate, Samuel Applegate, James Wall, Benjamin Applegate, James Dean, and Andrew Pearce. Other near neighbors were Joseph Beckett, John Imbly, Joseph Liming, Daniel Thompson, Alexander Craig, John McClure, William Fleming, and Robert Craighead.

When the first federal census was taken in 1790, Richard Sparks was listed as well as two of his sons, Richard Sparks, Jr., and Benjamin Sparks. His other sons (James, Walter, and Daniel) had gone to Kentucky by that time. These three families were listed as follows in 1790:

Richard Sparks:

1 free white male over 16 (himself)
0 free white males under 16
4 females (all ages)
Richard Sparks:
2 free white males over 16 (one being himseLf)
0 free white males under 16
5 females (all ages)
Benjamin Sparks:
1 free white male over 16 (himself)
3 free white males under 16
2 females (all ages)
Unfortunately, the census taker did not distinguish which Richard Sparks was senior and which was junior.

Close neighbors of the Sparks family in 1790, judging from the order in which the names were listed by the census taker, were James Wall, Cornelius Quick, Moses Quick, John Wright, Frederick Brown, Andrew Pearce, Obediah Robins, Benjamin Fauster, William Taylor, Samuel Lemon, Thomas story, William Ketchum, and a number of men named Applegate.

Only one Richard Sparks was listed on the tax list of 1791 for Elizabeth Township. (Pennsylvania Archives, 3rd Series, Vol. 22, p. 663) His tax was 9 shillings and one pence; the tax of Benjamin Sparks that year was 4 shillings and 2 pence.

We have no record of the elder Richard Sparks after 1791; there is strong reason to believe that he died in 1791 or 1792. On April 2, 1792, Richard Sparks, Jr., and his brother, Benjamin Sparks, sold a tract of land to Hezekiah Douthitt (spelled Dowthwitt in the deed.) Nothing is said in the deed regarding the manner in which they had acquired this tract, but it seems probable that they had inherited it from their father. This is the tract that is shown on the survey map mentioned earlier as having been part of the original grant to Richard Sparks, Sr. The three Sparks brothers who had gone to Kentucky about a decade earlier, probably played no part in the settlement of their father’s estate, although their rightful claim for a share may have prevented Richard and Benjamin Sparks from providing a proper deed for Hezekiah Douthitt.  The sale of this tract is recorded in Allegheny County Deed Book C, page 3, and reads as follows:

Know all men by these presents that we Benjamin Sparks and Richard Sparks, both of Elizabeth Township of the one part, and Hezh. Dowthwitt of the same County and Township of the other part, Witnesseth that we have sold, bargained, released and confirmed, a certain parcel of land being situate


as follows, viz . - - Beginning at the Mouth of Lick Run and runing a strait line up said run till it strikes Richard Sparks line, and then along said line till strikes Sam’l. Applegates line; from thence till it strikes Elijah Harts line; thence up Daniel Applegates line to the place of beginning. For and in consideration of one hundred pounds lawful money of the State of Pennsylvania and the above mentioned Benjn Sparks and Richard Sparks, doth obligate themselves to give said Hezh. Dowthwitt a deed of conveyance as soon as they obtain the real deed for said land and moreover we obligate ourselves to obtain the aforesaid deed. In witness whereof we have signed our hands and affixed our seals this second day of April one thousand seven hundred and ninety-two.
                 Witnesses   Samuel Applegate                         Signed  Benjamin Sparks (seal)
                                      Ezra Brant                                                      Richard Sparks (seal)
Allegheny County, Came before me the subscriber one of the Justices of the Peace for said County afforesaid, Benjamin Sparks and Richard Sparks the within mentioned grantors and aclaiowledged the within Instrument of wrighting to be their act and deed and desired the same to be recorded as such for the purpose therein mentioned. Witness my hand and seal this 18th day of May 1792.
                                                                                               Signed   Joseph Beckett (seal)

The will of Garret Wall, who married Mary Sparks, eldest daughter of Richard Sparks, Jr., adds another bit of information regarding the elder Richard Sparks. At the end of his will, dated May 29, 1846, Garret Wall explained his ownership of a tract of land that had once been the property of Richard Sparks, Jr. Garret Wall explained that shortly after he had married Mary Sparks on February 16, 1800, his father-in-law, Richard Sparks, Jr., had promised to give him a tract of land if he would take care of his other children. (Frances Nash Sparks, wife of Richard Sparks, Jr., had died in 1794)  and, according to Garret Wall’s statement, had left six children “who were bileted amongst their friends in this neighborhood after their mother’s death until I married his eldest daughter.” Wall stated that he had then taken his father-in-law’s children (his wife ‘s sisters and brother) into his home and had even paid some of his father-in-law’s debts in Pittsburgh in exchange for this land. He complained that Richard Sparks, Jr., had never provided him with a proper deed for the land. He was fearful, even as late as 1846 when he made his will, that the heirs of the other children of Richard Sparks, Jr., or even the heirs of Richard’s brothers, might try to claim this land. The significance of Wall’s statement here is the following: “... he [Richard Sparks, Jr.]  considered the land, altho poor, and with the incumbrance of his Stepmother ‘s dower wright, to be worth five hundred dollars . . .“ Later in his statement, Wall added: "... Forty six years ago [1800] this land was thought but of little value, there was, when I came to it, but thirty four acres cleared, besides some eight or ten acres in possession of Grandmother Sparks, the thirty four acres had been in the hands of tenants for some thirteen years, was much wasted, bore little else than peneroyel, and in a manner destitute of fences. . .‘

Although Garret Wall complained that his father-in-law had never given him a proper deed to his farm, a power-of-attorney is on record in Allegheny County dated July 6, 1801, in which Richard Sparks, Jr., appointed Joseph Beckett, a justice of the peace in Allegheny County, to “execute a good firm Warrantee deed to my old farm or plantation situate in the Township aforesaid lately in the Tenure of Ezra Brant, Joining lands with Garret Applegate and others, to Confirm it over to rry Son in law Garret Wall and Marey his wife.” It is interesting to note that Ezra Brant is here identified as the tenant to whom Garret Wall had referred. It



was this same Ezra Brant who signed as a witness the agreement of sale by Benjamin and Richard Sparks, Jr., to Hezekiah Douthitt.

In this same power-of-attorney, Richard Sparks, Jr., directed Joseph Beckett to “execute a good Warrantee deed to Hezekia Doughet for the tract of Land Said Douthet now lives on agreeable to a article I signed for that purpose.” This is in reference to the sale of land recorded earlier on page 1444-45.

Further evidence that the land which Richard Sparks, Jr., was here concerned with was being claimed by Richard and Benjamin as their inheritance from their father is found in the following instructions to Beckett in this same power of attorney:
“... and my said attorney to grant Bargain and Sell all my part portion and share of the grist Mill Built in partnership with Joseph Applegate in the County and Township afforesaid, Together with my part of the lot of Land it is situaged on Containing about Twenty Acres to Such person or persons for such price or prices as he shall think proper ...“ It seems probable that the grist mill referred to here had been built by the elder Richard Sparks in partnership with Joseph Applegate.

The “Grandmother Sparks” referred to by Wall, whom he also called his father-in law’s “Stepmother,” was obviously the second wife of the elder Richard Sparks. She was still living in 1800, according to Wall’s statement. Doubtless, she was the Sarah Sparks who was listed on the 1800 census as living in Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County. Benjamin Sparks was living nearby. There were no males living in the household of Sarah Sparks, but there were three females. She, herself, was doubtless the female aged over 45; there was also a female in her household aged between 16 and 26, and another aged between 10 and 16.

As mentioned earlier, we have been able to identify five sons of the elder Richard Sparks: James, Benjamin, Richard, Walter, and Daniel. There must also have been daughters, but we have no record of their names. A sketch of each of these five sons, with a record of their descendants, is planned for future issues of the QUARTERLY. We are sure that in the land and court records of Middlesex County, New Jersey, and Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, additional references to the elder Richard Sparks will be found. If any reader has additional information on this branch of the Sparks family, the present writer will be delighted to correspond with him or her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *


(Born ca. 1720, Died 1800)

The earliest record of a Richard Sparks in New Jersey that we have found thus far is dated June 3, 1739, on which date Simon Sparks, Thomas Sparks, Richard Sparks, William Weatherby, and Nathaniel Box witnessed the will of John Bradway “of Alloways Creek Precinct, Salem County, cordwainer.” (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 30, p. 57) At that time, the part of New Jersey in which Salem County is located was called West Jersey. This Richard Sparks is known to have been a son of Simon Sparks who settled in New Jersey sometime prior to 1739. (See the QUARTERLY of March 1958, Vol. VI, No. 1, Whole No. 21, p. 286.) In 1741, Simon Sparks, Thomas Sparks, and Richard Sparks were among the signers of the original covenant of the Pitts Grove Presbyterian Church. Unfortunately, later records of this church have



been lost. (See An Historical Account of the First Settlement of Salem in West Jersey by R. G. Johnson, Philadelphia, 1839.)   On March 4, 1746, Simon Sparks made his will, which was probated on March 28, 1749. In his will, Simon Sparks was described as “of Deptford Township, Gloucester County” in New Jersey; he left his “plantation whereon I live” to his wife Jane until such time as his son Henry became 21. He named his other children as John, Richard, Thomas, Robert, Elizabeth, Agnes, and Mary. (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 30, p. 449)    It is known that Richard Sparks, son of Simon, married Elizabeth Weatherby, daughter of William Weatherby, about 1740.

Richard Sparks, son of Simon, appears to have continued to live in Deptford Township, Gloucester County, for a number of years. On November 1, 1751, he signed with Henry Weatherford as a fellow-bondsman for Catherine Marshall, widow and administratrix of the estate of Joseph Marshall (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 32, p. 216)  In this document, Richard Sparks was described as a “husbandman of Deptford Township, Gloucester County.” On May 14, 1755, Richard Sparks helped to take an inventory of the estate of William Weatherby, his father-in-law. (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 32, p. 351) Twice in 1756, Richard Sparks took inventories of estates in Gloucester County, but in 1763 he was a resident of Salem County when on March 11, 1763, he and Joseph Champneys signed as fellow-bondsmen with Jehiel Dearwin. (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 33, p. 279) In this document, Richard Sparks was described as “of Pilesgrove, Salem Co., Yeoman.” In the Pennsylvania Gazette of June 22, 1769, an advertisement appeared for a tract of land (300 acres) in Pilesgrove, Salem County, New Jersey. Following the description of this land appeared the following statement: “For further particulars, enquire of Richard Sparks, at the Three Tuns, within a mile of the premises, or of Alexander, John and Moses Hill, in Lower Peons Neck, Salem county.”

On October 29, 1771, a Richard Sparks, Junior, of Pittsgrove Township and Esther Mewhew, widow, were appointed administrators of the estate of Stanford Mewhew. (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 314, p. 342) In all probability, this Richard Junior was a son of Thomas Sparks, brother of the elder Richard Sparks. When Thomas Sparks died in Salem County, New Jersey, in 1791, he divided his estate (will dated January 8, 1791) among his ten children, one of whom was named Richard Sparks. (Thomas Sparks named his ten children as: Thomas Sparks, Simon Sparks, Richard Sparks, Hannah Powers, David Sparks, Jane Fislow, Rachel Sparks, Elizabeth Dubois, Mary Sparks, and Catherine Turner.  (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 37, p. 336)

The same Richard Sparks appears in a number of Salem County records during the 1790’s, but we cannot be sure whether it was the elder Richard (son of Simon) or the younger Richard (son of Thomas). A Richard Sparks died in Salem County in 1800. This must surely have been the elder Richard, son of Simon. Unfortunately, he did not leave a will. On April 5, 1800, Ann Sparks was appointed administratrix of his estate, with John Sinnickson and Thomas Murphy serving as fellowbondsmen; they also took the inventory of the property. (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 38, p. 3142)  If this was the elder Richard, son of Simon, as we believe, he must have married twice; Ann Sparks, who was named administratrix, was probably his widow, whereas we know that his first wife had been named Elizabeth Weatherby. It is interesting to note that when Thomas Sparks of Pilesgrove, Salem County, died in 1801, his will dated May 20, 1801, provided that his small son, David Sparks, should “be put apprentice to Richard F. Sparks, of Philadelphia.”  (New Jersey Archives, Vol. 39, p. 1418) Among the marriage records of the Third Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia is that of Richard F. Sparks and Sarah Allardice on February 16, 1793. (Pennsylvania Archives, 2nd Series, Vol. 9, p. 545)



Apparently this was the Richard Sparks who died in Philadelphia on May 21, 1806, aged 41, who was buried in the cemetery of the Second Presbyterian Church (See    Publications of the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, Vol. 1, p. 245).  A later reference to his estate calls him Richard F. Sparks. Since he was 41 years old at the time he died in 1806, he must have been born in 1764 or 1765.

The Richard Sparks, son of Simon Sparks, discussed here was probably related to the Richard Sparks who lived in Middlesex County, New Jersey, and moved to what became Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, discussed in the preceeding article.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

A member of the Association, Willard Morris Sparks, has asked written that his company is seeking information regarding the whereabouts of a former employee who has mail that cannot be delivered. The employee’s name and last address are Mrs. Barbara F. Sparks, Rocky Rivers, Ohio. Anyone knowing Mrs. Sparks is asked to advise her to contact Mr. W. J. Bischof, Office of the Secretary, IEM Corp., Old Orchard Road, Armonk, New York (10504).

* * * * * * * * * * * * *



Nancy A. Sparks and William W. Magnaw, February 11, 1862 (Book 1)
William Sparks and L. J. Grayson, January 28, 1869 (Book 14)
Martha J. Sparks and H. L. Head, December 11, 1873 (Book 5)
Joel Sparks and N. J. Grayson, November 25, 1880 (Book 9)
L. M. Sparks and Silvanis Sheffer, December 27, 1883 (Book 10)
Sarah Sparks and W. B. Wiseman, January 31, 1888 (Book 12)
Julia A. Sparks and Ebenezer Cobb, July 25, 1888 (Book 12)
W. R. Sparks and Hallie Cobb, February 22, 1899 (Book 17)
Lucy Sparks and R. L. Minor, November 18, 1900 (Book 18)
* * * * * * * * * * * * *


In the QUARTERLY of June 1966, Vol. XIV, No. 2, Whole No. 54, page 997, we published a record of the Sparks families listed on the 1860 of Leavenworth County, Kansas. Carrie Grant Heppen, our Washington researcher, had occasion recently to search that census and found that we had missed aie person named Sparks. In Alexandria Township, with post office at Easton, STEPHEN SPARKS was listed (page 861, house 2769, family 2478). He was listed as living alone; his age was 49 and his place of birth was given as Indiana.

[Scanner's Note:  Correction made.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

In 4246 B.C., the Egyptians adopted the first calendar based on the Solar year. It was a twelve-month calendar, with each month containing thirty days, totalling 360 days for the year. To make the calendar come out even with the Sun, they added five days at the end of the year - - six days every fourth year. The five days were not part of any month - - they were used as feast days to honor their gods.



The June 1968 issue of THE SPARKS QUARTERLY, Vol. XVI, No. 2, Whole No. 62, page 1148, contained an item relative to the marriage of NANCY SPARKS and John Winchester in Hardin County, Kentucky, on June 18, 1803. We are now able to add more data for this family and to correct an error. We stated on page 1148 that Nancy Sparks was a daughter of Job Sparks; actually, Job Sparks was her brother. Nancy Sparks was a daughter of Thomas Sparks. [Scanner's Note:  Correction made.]

In 1797, according to Kentucky Land Grants by Willard Rouse Jillson, published in 1925, THOMAS SPARKS was granted 975 acres of land in Hardin County, Kentucky, located on the Falling Fork of Salt River. The date of the survey, as recorded in Old Kentucky Grants, Book 14, page 629, was November 10, 1797. By a survey made two days later, Thomas Sparks was granted an additional 1400 acres on Otter Creek in the same county.

Although it is apparent that Thomas Sparks must have had subsequent land dealings, only two recorded deeds have been found in Hardin County records for the period 1792 -1860. They are as follows:

Book J, page 213. This indenture entered into this seveneth day of June 1824 between THOMAS SPARKS of the first part and JOBE SPARKS, POLLY SPARKS, BETSEY JOHNSON, and ELIZABETH WINCHESTER of the second part, witnesseth that THOMAS SPARKS for and in consideration of the natural love and affection which he has toward the said JOBE SPARKS, POLLY SPARKS and BETSEY JOHNSON they being his children and the said ELIZABETH WINCHESTER she being his grandchild, THOMAS SPARKS does give to them 975 acres of land on the south side of Rolling Fork of Salt River on the dividing ridge between the waters of Clear Creek of Knob Creek and Bear Creek patented by James Nourse and said THOMAS SPARKS on April 30, 1903.patented by James Nourse and said THOMAS SPARKS on April 30, 1803.
Witnesses:                            [signed] THOMAS    X    SPARKS
         Jas. E. Stone                  mark
         Daniel Haycraft
                                                                                                                                      Book K, page 316. This indenture entered into this twenty-eighth day of October 1837 between Samuel Martin, Sheriff of Hardin County of the first part and POLLY SPARKS of the second part witnesseth that whereas an execution issued from the Clerk of Hardin County Circuit Court in favor of Josiah Atwood against THOMAS SPARKS, Number 730 for $286.00 and $314.51½ bearing the date of June 28, 1824, which execution was levied on an undivided moiety of 975 acres of land the property of said THOMAS SPARKS which land was patented by said SPARKS and James Nurse and which land the said THOMAS SPARKS then lived situate lying and being on the dividing ridge between the Roling Fork waters and the waters of Middle Creek that said land was advertised for sale and on the day of the sale Benjamin Harden became purchaser for the sum of - - - - -     dollars he being the highest bidder and whereas said Harden has sold said certificate and land to said POLLY SPARKS and directs a deed to be made to her in consideration whereof I Samuel Martin, Sheriff do grant bargain and sell to said POLLY SPARKS the undivided moiety of 975 acres.
                                                                                                                     Samuel Martin,

A search of the tax lists of Hardin County reveals that Thomas Sparks’s name first appears in these records in 1797, the year in which he obtained his land grants. That year (1797), he was taxed for 600 acres on Rolling Fork (spelled “Rowling F.")



The tax collector was required to record the waterway on which each tract was located and, since there were various streams which ran near some tracts, they were not always consistent in their descriptions from year to year.  In 1799. Thomas Sparks was taxed for 679 acres on “Nobb Creek,” i.e. Knob Creek. After 1805, Thomas Sparks was regularly taxed on 500 acres on Knob Creek and 200 acres on Otter Creek, although in 1807 the 500-acre tract was described as ‘West of Rolling Fork. In 1816 and 1817, he was taxed on only 1475 acres on Knob Creek, The 1818 tax reoords of Hardin County are missing, but in 1819 and 1820 Thomas Sparks was taxed on 1187½ acres on Otter Creek.

 In these early tax records, an enumeration was made of "White Males over 21" and  “White Males over 16.” In 1797, one male over 21 was enumerated after Thomas Sparks’s name; this would have been himself. He was also taxed on the basis of owning one horse. In 1800, the tax list records 1 white male over 21 and 1 white male over 16. The male over 16 continued to be enumerated until 1804; from 1805 through 1820, the last tax record searched, Thomas Sparks himself was listed as the only white male in his family. We know from the deed of June 7, 1824, that Thomas Sparks had a son named Jobe (or Job). He was probably the white male who reached the age of 16 in 1800, which would mean he was born about 1784, No subsequent record has been found of this Jobe Sparks.

The land which THOMAS SPARKS patented and on which he lived was on a ridge which shed water into both Middle Creek and Rolling Fork.  Middle Creek flows southwest into Nolin River and is a portion of the western boundary of Larue County.  Rolling Fork flows northward and is a portion of the eastern boundary of Larue County. For these reasons, plus the reference to Knob Creek; we believe that THOMAS SPARKS probably lived in that portion of Hardin County which became Larue County in 1843. He was also a close neighbor to Thomas Lincoln, father of the 16th President of the United States. Thomas Lincolns name first appears on the Hardin County tax records in 1807 - - the tax collector wrote his name as "Thomas Linkorn."   By that same year, Thomas Sparks's prosperity had grown to the point
that he owned, and was taxed for five horses. Thomas Lincoln owned one horse in 1807. From 1808 to 1814, Thomas Lincoln was regularly taxed for 200 acres on Mill Creek, but in 1815 he was taxed for 30 acres on Knob Creek. In 1816, Thomas Lincoln with his wife and two children, moved from Hardin County to Indiana; Abraham was then seven years old.

The 1810 census of Hardin County gives THOMAS SPARKS as having been born before 1765. Living in his household was one male aged 26 to 45, and two females, one born before 1765 (doubtless his wife), and the other aged 10 to 16. Whether the male aged 26 to 45 was his son Job cannot be determined. When the 1820 census of Hardin County was taken, Thomas Sparks was listed with one male over 45
(himself, thus born before 1775), one male between 26 and 45, and two males between 18 and 26; there was also one female between 16 arid 26 and one female between 10 and 16. It is quite impossible to determine who these members of his household in 1820 may have been, but it would appear that his wife must have been dead by 1820, since no female was enumerated as over 45. Thomas Sparks was not
listed on the 1830 census of Hardin County - - we may assume that he had died by that time.

Thomas Sparks was probably born between 1750 and l760, and he was probably married between 1770 and 1780. Where he lived prior to his appearance in Hardin County Kentucky, in 1797 is unknown. It seems probable that he died before 1830. From the deed of June 7, 182)4, we know that Thomas Sparks had the following children:



Children of Thomas Sparks

1, Job Sparks. He was referred to in the deed of June 7, 1824, by which Thomas Sparks gave land to three children and one grandchild No further record of him has been found.
2, Elizabeth Sparks, Her marriage to Benjamin Johnson is recorded in Hardin County Marriage Book A, page 3. The marriage bond states that she was a daughter of Thomas Sparks; Abraham Enlow, who acted as surety, made oath that she was “of full age.” The bond was dated April 14, 1800, and the marriage was performed by Josiah Dodge on April 17, 1800. She was still living in 1824 when her father referred to her in his deed of June 7, 1824, as Betsey Johnson.
3,  Polly Sparks (probably a nickname for Mary), She was probably the Polly Sparks who married Charles Norris in Hardin County on June 19, 1827. However, she was probably the Polly Sparks who was referred to in the deed dated October 28, 1837, in which case it would seem strange for her to be called by her maiden name.
4. Nancy Sparks.  Her marriage to John Winchester is recorded in Book A, page 5.
Her brother-in-law, Benjamin Johnson, served as surety and gave consent for her marriage, thus indicating that she was not yet of age.  Benjamin Helm served as witness. The bond was dated June 14, 1803, and the marriage was performed on June 18, 1803, by A. McDougal.
From Theron Royal Woodward's Descendants of Tristram Dodge, published by the Old Colony Historical Society in 1904, page 31, we learn that John Winchester, born in New London, Connecticut, on May 3, 1783, died Morgantown, Indiana, in 1862, was a son of Richard and Lydia (Dodge) Winchester.  Richard Winchester moved from Connecticut to Hardin County, Kentucky, in 1788 where he established a “public house,” or inn, near Elizabethtown.   John Winchester was reared in Hardin County where he married Nancy Sparks as noted above. She bore several children, the last being born in September 1813; she died soon after the birth of the last child.  Only one of her children was a daughter and it was this Elizabeth Winchester whom her father mentioned in his deed of June 7, 1824.  In 1814, John Winchester married his second wife, Margaret Miller, who bore him ten children and died in September 1846. He then married (third) Lucretia Walton on July 8, 18147, who bore him three children. According to this genealogy, (p. 145) John Winchester “removed to a farm in Hanover, Indiana, but in his old age returned to Kentucky and died there. He was a man of great energies and built the first brick house in Jefferson County, Indiana."   He was the first to break away from serving whiskey to harvest hands, and was called  "The Governor" by his less energetic neighbors.”  His children by his first wife, Nancy Sparks, were:
(1) Cyril Winchester, born March L, 1804; married Mary Anr. Miller, sister of his father's second wife; moved to Johnson Co., Ind,
(2) Jordan Winchester. born Oct.. 1, 1805; married (1st) Betsey (2nd) Angelina Hart; moved to Morgantown, Indiana.
(3) James Winchester, born Oct. 10, 1807; “went to Mexico and after his return was seen but once by his family"
(4) Elizabeth Winchester, born Dec. 17; 1809; married (1st) Thomas Lemon; (2nd) Price Pearman, Returned to Kentucky.


 Children of John and Nancy (Sparks) Winchester, continued:

(5) A child died in infancy.
(6) Jefferson Winchester, born Jan. 24, 1812; died in infancy.
(7) William H. Harrison Winchester, born Sept. 2), 1813; married Diana Hart; returned to Kentucky.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *


Mrs. Grace E. White, 153 South Osceola St., Denver, Colorado (80219) is seeking information regarding the husband and family of Frances London, born September 29, 1825, in Rutherford County, North Carolina, died in Cleveland County, North Carolina, in 1850. It is known that Frances London married a man named SPARKS, but no information has been found regarding his first name, his family, nor their children. Frances London was a daughter of Henry London who was born about 1777 in Virginia; he was married in 1802 in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, to Mary Elam, born about 1780, probably a daughter of Edward Elazn. Henry London served in the War of 1812 from North Carolina. All of the children of Henry and Mary (Elain)  London were born in Rutherford County, North Carolina. Their names were:

(1) Edward London (Ned), born Apr. 3, 1803; m. Mary Peeler, 1820.
(2) John London, born Oct. 12, 1804; m. Elizabeth Peeler, 1825.
(3) Susanny London, (Sooky), born Sept. 6, 1806; m. Abner Comwell, 1826.
(4) Elizabeth London, born Aug. 19, 1810; m. David Peeler.
(5) Lucy London, born July 6, 1810; m. Spangler.
(6) Chandler London, born Sept. 21, 1812.
(7) Henry London, born Sept. 3, 1814.
(8) Martha London (Polly), born Sept. 13, 1816; m. Albert Weathers.
(9) James London, born Jan. 2, 1821; m. Maria J. Bennett.
(10) Frances London, born Sept. 29, 1825; m. - - - - -Sparks.
(11) Nancy Emmeline London, born July 15, 1833; m. Samuel Paterson.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *


We regret to report the passing of Miss Rose &iily Sparks, aged eighty-six, of Akron, Ohio, formerly of Lawrence County, Kentucky. Miss Sparks died on October 21, 1971. She was an aunt of Dr. Paul E. Sparks, President of the Sparks Family Association, and a charter member of the Association.

Funeral services were conducted in the Bradley Gap Baptist Church and burial was in the Sparks Cemetery on Morgans Creek in Lawrence County.

Miss Sparks was born in Lawrence County on May 19, 1885, and was a daughter of the late Colby and Martha (Chaff in) Sparks. Survivors include a sister, Mrs. Flora Williams of Beckley, West Virginia, and a host of nieces and nephews.





(Editor’s Note: Ir. the QUARTERLY for September 1967 we began publishing abstracts of the pension papers of persons named Sparks who had served on the Union side of the Civil War. The records given here have been abstracted from xerox copies of papers obtained from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. For one dollar, the National Archives provides xerox copies of those papers in a pensioner’s file which appear to the clerk making the search to have genealogical value. It should be remembered that our data from these files are, therefore, limited to those documents which the clerk at the National Archives chose to copy for the dollar provided. A complete search of all the papers in the file of a pensioner would often provide additional data of significance.)
ANDREW J. SPARKS,  born in Wilkes County, North Carolina, about 1852; claimed to have served in Company C of Kirk’s Regiment, in 1870, but the War Department could find no record of such service. File designation: 1,387,585.

On December 10, 1909, Andrew J. Sparks, a resident of Viands, Wilkes County, North Carolina, made application to the Bureau of Pensions for an invalid pension. He stated that he was 57 years old (thus born about 1852) and that he had been enrolled at Trap Hill, North Carolina, in June 1870 as a private in, according to his own words, “I think Co. D, Kirk’s Regiment and was released at Raleigh, Sept. 1870,” He stated that he had been 18 years old at the time of his enlistment, had been 5 feet, 9 inches tall, with a fair complexion, dark hair and blue eyes. He stated that while he was on duty at Raleigh, North Carolina, in September 1870, one of his fingers was broken and that he received this injury “while putting up tents by a fall of the ridge pole,” and that he “was in the Hospital about one week in Raleigh, N.C.” He stated that he had not been employed in military or naval service prior to June 1870 nor after September 1870. He signed his name by mark
(A. J. Sparks). His witnesses were C. E. Durham and V. B. Blackburn.

On January 27, 1910, the Commissioner of Pensions, J. L. Davenport, wrote to Andrew J. Sparks as follows:

“Sir: Your above-cited claim for pension under the general law is rejected on the ground that it does not appear that such an organization as Co. D, Kirk’s Regiment, was in the service of the United States, nor do the records of the War Department show that a person named Andrew J. Sparks enlisted in the U.S. Army during the year 1870.”
Andrew J. Sparks returned this letter to the Bureau of Pensions with the following note: “I volunteered under J. Q. A. Bryan at Traphill & was attached to Kirk’s Regiment at Raleigh, N.C. I am not right certain about the name of the Co. but think it was Co. C.”

From the records furnished by the National Archives from this file, it does not appear that Andrew J. Sparks was ever granted a pension.

(Editor’s Note: It is curious that a Southerner would have applied for a U.S. pension for service in the Union Army. If he served in the unit he claimed, this must have been a unit assigned to North Carolina during the Reconstruction period. One wonders whether records of such service were deliberately not kept by the U.S. Government at that time.)



(Andrew J. Sparks was a son of Joel and Charlotte (Durham) Sparks and a grandson of Joel Sparks, Jr., and his wife, Nancy (Blackburn) Sparks. His great-grandfather was John Sparks (born February 25, 1753) who served in the American Revolution. For a record of this family, see the QUARTERLY of December 1955, Vol. III, No. 14, Whole No. 12, pp. 97-104. Andrew J. Sparks’s father, Joel Sparks, was born about 1826 - - he was a brother of the Robert Sparks who was the subject of a sketch in the QUARTERLY of September 1970, Vol. XVIII, No, 3, Whole No, 71, pp. 1346-1490 Joel Sparks married Charlotte Durham in Wilkes County, N.C., the marriage bond being dated June 21, 1846. From census records, it appears that Joel and Charlotte (Durham) Sparks were the parents of the following children:

(1) Caroline Sparks, born about 18)46
(2) George W. Sparks, born about 18148
(3) Nancy Sparks, born about 1850
(4) Andrew J. Sparks, born about 1852 (the applicant f or a pension)
(5) Julia Sparks, born about 1853
(6) Martha Sparks, born about 185)4
(7) Dovia (or Dovey) Sparks, born about 1855
(8) Joel Sparks, born about 1857
(9) Mary J. Sparks, born about 1859
(10) William Sparks, born about 1862
(Charlotte, wife of Joel Sparks and mother of the applicant for a pension, died prior to 1870, at least she was not listed with the family when the 1870 census was taken. We have no record of Andrew J. Sparks having married.)

 * * * * * * * * * * * * *


It is a pleasure to report the names and addresses of eleven new members of THE SPARKS FAMILY ASSOCIATION. These Sparks descendants have joined the Association since our last report in the September 1971 issue of the QUARTERLY,

Lupton, J. S., Box 444, Cimarron, Kansas (67835)
Feet, Charlotte Sparks (Mrs. Darrell J.), 3431 Florida N.E., Albuquerque, New Mexico (87110)
Sparks, A. C., Rt. 4, Toccoa, Georgia (30577)
Sparks, Glenn, P.O. Box 135, Olive Hill, Kentucky (41164)
Sparks, Ira, 7214 East D Street, Russellville, Arkansas (72801)
Sparks, Jane, 17834½ Los Alimos St., Granada Hills, California (91344)
Sparks, Jesse E., Rt. 1-A, Box 97, Columbia Falls, Montana (59912)
Sparks, Melvin E., 1831 Wayside Lane, Sacramento, California (95825)
Sparks, Samuel T., Rt. 2, Box 382, Lucasville, Ohio (45648)
Stephenson, Suzanne (Mrs. James E.), 8 North Venus Ave., Clearwater, Florida (33515)
Williams, Mrs. Dorothy Sparks, Rt. 7, Box 97, Oxford, Alabama (36201)

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

In 1795, just as the Gregorian calendar was well on its way to universal use, France revived the original calendar of Egypt, dating back to 4246 B.C. They called it the Calendar of Reason. There were twelve months of thirty days, each month divided into ten day periods. The five extra days at the end of the year were set aside as holidays and called Sans Culottes - - after the poor people of France, meaning without pants. The Calendar of Reason lasted only 12 years.
Index Next Page Previous Page Previous Whole No.

Scanned and Edited by James J. Sparks